Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Waiting for Sonoma to download before trying this. No need for a developer account either!.

Ah-ha! Your post caught my eye so I dived in to find out what it was all about.

This looks like a WINE wrapper. Or am I mistaken?

True WINE needs help badly, but I wonder how installaware compares with Crossover which I've used for years, and WinOnX which I haven't but is similar if less polished.

I've not tried Sonoma PB so guess I have to wait to find out!

:)

This looks like a WINE wrapper. Or am I mistaken?
I read somewhere that the Crossover team were involved with this. I can’t remember the source of that piece of info, worth a google search.

I read somewhere that the Crossover team were involved with this. I can’t remember the source of that piece of info, worth a google search.

Well I'm on the Codeweavers mailing list but I may have missed any announcements. I do know they are now incorporating WINE 8.01 in their latest releases - v23 just released.

The basic Crossover install is now over 1GB, so a pretty chunky app!

Works on AS too, so is a great way to run Windows x86/64 apps on ARM.

It will be interesting to see how Apple code and WINE work together ...

@UtterDisbelief my mistake the toolkit is sourced from crossover.

Ah, thanks for the heads-up on that. :thumbup:

Release v23 of Crossover now includes DirectX 12 support, I understand. That's got to help. I've yet to upgrade though, still on v22.

Crossover, and therefore WINE which Codeweavers feeds back into, can work amazingly well ... or not at all. I guess that's down to what "tricks" Windows coders use to get their apps and games working a certain way.

I find it remarkable that Crossover sits on top of Rosetta II and then runs Windows X86/64 apps on ARM so well. My personal favourite Windows app was released in 2000. Yes, 2000. And it has run perfectly, and never crashed on Apple AS. That's better than it ever did on Windows native. :lol:

@UtterDisbelief Hi. I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, but the file browser did find my attached Windows Steam Library with Destiny 2 and Microsoft Flight Simulator. They didn't boot obviously, but I'm feeling positive. Is there a wrapper for Wine other than command line?.

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 9.43.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 10.19.17 AM.png

Last edited:
@UtterDisbelief Hi. I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, but the file browser did find my attached Windows Steam Library with Destiny 2 and Microsoft Flight Simulator. They didn't boot obviously, but I'm feeling positive. Is there a wrapper for Wine other than command line?.View attachment 572302

Hi there.

Well, for an alternative, Crossover has a much neater implementation of WINE than vanilla WINE does. Trouble is you have to pay for it, though there is a trial version.

The difference is that Crossover uses "Bottles" (Bottles of WINE etc :rolleyes: ) These sit in the Applications Support/Crossover/Bottles folder and contain a bespoke version of Windows for each app. Or you can install more than one. Your choice. Much less clutter and you can back-up and delete bottles without harming any other part of the system.

The latest supports DirectX 12 so I guess that's good enough for Steam and MFS.

Here's a screengrab from the Supported Apps forum over at Codeweavers:

FS.jpg

Gives you some idea how well things work, BUT as you can see the star ratings relate to older versions of Crossover. So not always up to date.

The other wrapper-type WINE I know of is WinOnX from the App Store but I haven't tried it as yet and it was last updated 4-years ago anyway.

Back